PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-Force dispersal query
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2007, 20:50
threeputt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF Lyneham

On my first tour in the RAF I was an Air Trafficker at Lyneham. In 1968, whilst on local control, I remeber being given notice that an Exercise Mick/Micky Finn had been called and we were to expect some Vulcan aircraft within a half an hour. Having never even seen a real Vulcan, let alone had one anywhere near Lyneham, during my tour this was a bit exciting I can tell you. First ac cleared to land and carry's out an interesting manoever, which I came to recognise later on in a future career, by adopting a severe nose up attitude! Keen young chap that I was, I sounded the crash alarm and the entire fire team leaped into their charges and asked where the "practice crash" was??? "Vulcan tailscrape, RW 25" say's I "Roger" say's the fire chief and off they go in pursuit of said V- bomber which is still very nose up and sending up a healthy stream of sparks. " Lyneham, Mission XXXX request taxy instruction" "Roger, XXXX taxy to the ORP located to the west of ATC, crash crews are approaching from the East." There then followed a short, sharp verbal exchange between sprog ATC officer and Vulcan captain on the merits of aerodynamic braking! Three other Vulcans followed on within the next 20 mins. Scrambled the next day and I never saw one again until I arrived at Scampton as a u/t Nav Rad, on 230 OCU, some 5 years later!

Anyway point of the post is that Lyneham had a four ac ORP, which can be seen fairly clearly in XV277's list, not two as in your original post jackonicko.

3P