PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reclining seats send airline tempers soaring
Old 13th Feb 2007, 12:19
pacer142

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any airliner I have flown on have seats that pivot off the same joint as the food tray. That means that the food tray does not move as it is not attached to the reclining part of the seat! It also means that leg room is not affected unless your knees are in such a position that they are higher than the pivoting joint.
Mine are, as are those of many tall people. In order to use the tray, I do need to move into a slightly unnatural position.

However, I do recognise that others have the right to use their seats. I would say that the only solution is common courtesy. To everyone, before reclining your seat, look behind you to see if knees are present. If they are, either recline very slowly, or tell the person behind you plan to do so. They can, as can I, move into another position to allow you to do so.

I also think there's no need for short-haul recline at all, though, just as it isn't provided on most British trains, and that all airlines should copy Ryanair and EasyJet's newer planes by not providing it at all on flights of a couple of hours (let's say anything a normal two-class 737 or A319/320 would be used on).

Neil

Last edited by pacer142; 13th Feb 2007 at 12:21. Reason: spelling