PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 13th Feb 2007, 12:02
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact is that TCAS and radar presently exist,
TCAS yes, accurate mode C TXPDRS - ?? ….. sufficient ATS RADAR coverage - NO
whereas ADS-B ‘in’ does not exist in any certified form.
… many RPT’s already have ADS-B, and ATS have it now (just need more ground boxes to increase coverage further for mode A/C and S), so the question is - in the short, medium and long term are you or RPT worse off with the ADS-B (more accurately WAMLat) program V's modest investment in TCAS for a small number of commuters?? ... which option achieves most across all timelines S/M/LT ??
I’m sure ADS-B is the way to go in the long term, however I believe that is up to a decade away.
… you support ADS-B? … what has changed since you rather public views on it last year??? …. was it delayed as a result? … has any part of the system design/description changed?
Why not harmonise with the rest of the world? Let’s have the advantages of TCAS now.
…. Yes lets ….. let the world catch up with us rather than us acquiescing with them over current older tech solutions that do not spread the advantages so widely and profoundly as subsidised ADS-B
I agree that TCAS is not perfect, but it is certainly better than no TCAS.
.. so why not mandate mode A/C transponders??? .. TCAS is only half the story is it not?
If it were not, the United States and other leading aviation countries would not have the requirement.
… and how many of their GA fleet are not TXPDR equipped and operating regularly/almost always in RADAR surveillance … are they not!
I wonder if the “fitment subsidy” is nothing but a pipe dream.
… if it is, whose fault will that be then??
As stated many times on this site, the airlines (namely, Qantas) refuse to have a bar of it.
.. see above!
They were not going to spend $100 million of their “savings” in subsidising GA aircraft.
.. they won’t! … they are already enjoying substantial fuel and other savings from AsA tech investment (flex tracks etc), this investment is AsA using any infrastructure expenditure for other enhancements to ATS that will result in further opportunities to increase industry efficiencies … how is that QANTAS’s money?
The Qantas pilots may have thought it was a good idea, but their bosses did not
…. Where did QANTAS pilots come into this??
– and I’m sure you know who has the maximum sway at the moment.
… ah dear .. there is a line there …. but I shall refrain!