PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basic Training Manuals
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2007, 11:47
rickypbrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all. My my, this thread has taken an entirely different path to my initial intentions!

Don't worry, I will be finishing my teaching degree; not because I only have only 3 months left, but because additionally it will stand me in an extremely good stead both within NATS, if I'm successful or in other careers if I do not qualify, especially as I plan to do my best to become an OJTI.

Believe me, I am extremely commited to being an ATCO. Aviation has been my life since I was very young indeed and a career in aviation has always been my goal. However, having as many strings to your bow as possible makes a more rounded individual - or that is what the NATS interviewers told me when they were impressed with the maturity with which I made my decisions. Doing the teaching degree has not only increased career security but, as has been aforementioned in this thread, has taught me many skills which will no doubt prove useful in my career as an ATCO, which I would not have possessed had I not started the degree.

I understand, in my initial thread I said that my degree seemed pointless- but that is only because I am itching to start training and do something I know I will truly love. You cannot even begin to understand Nic Nac how long and hard I have spent thinking about this; arguing the points for continuing and finishing my degree when every part of my body wants to start as an ATCO, but then common sense kicks in and always sways me round to this way of thinking...I can start in June as an ATCO with a degree, or start 3 months earlier, without. For the sake of 3 months, I don't think it's a sensible idea to throw away something I have worked hard for over the last 3 and 3/4 years.

Please do not think that this shows a lack of commitment. I am whole-heartedly and entirely commited to becoming the best ATCO I could possibly be.

Last edited by rickypbrown; 13th Feb 2007 at 12:05.