PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - Wannabes & Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2007, 09:43
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"apaddyinuk" actually I was offered a job on permanent EF LHR terms but BA cancelled our course - I know it's unique but..... I'm just saying I don't think even the company KNEW what was goign to happen (if we were misinformed it was by a CCM) it was all conjecture and Galley FM, despite that what's done is done, though SFG is hardly a bonus at £9k paycut from LHR WW I'm living on it til I can find something new or a transfer list (though it's been promised I won't hold my breath). And just an aside the last lot of temps to be kept on was 2 years ago not 10 - I spoke to one recently.

Sorry for my tone in these posts it's not personal I just feel that the company has really shat on the whole fleet - I feel more sorry for those that were incumbant at LGW and have to put up with it.

To those of you applying despite how grumpy I sound the fleet is full of amazing people if you want to work at LGW and await transfer to LHR it's probably your best bet of staying with the company as in future it is likely LHR will only recruit temps and then allocate you LGW if there is space as LGW is now NSP (Mainline BA Base) so many will be on a transfer list and jumping the gun would get BA in trouble with the Unions....again.

The money isn't great it's £9942 per annum basic (awaiting decision on whether this gets a 4.6% rise backdated to this feb) with various increments after periods of service. £2.32 an hour flight pay likely to increase to £2.43 soon which is paid from your report time until your clear from your trip back at base (you always get a minimum of £16.24 though even if a MAN there and back). Overnight allowance £6.72 / overtime is after 10.5 hours and is paid at 6.72 also and this doubles arfter 12.5 hours I believe. Dead heading is paid at £17.00 ish an hour and rest day working is paid a one of bonus of £89 ish you also get a paultry singel share of DF sales (no extra for being an operator though). If you're careful you can clear around £1100-1300 net a month.

On this you can't really afford to live in London (somewhere nice anyway!) (I'm trying) and there is no need- excellent train services to all the local places (Horley, Rehill etc etc) and after 6 months (when staff travel kicks in) many choose to commute via flight from all over the country (actually all over the world.) though if you do this you should be aware that on home standby you have 90 mins to report so you will probably have to put yourself up.

Purser promotion is good some 10 month old employees just got it and that ups your Basic to around £13000 pa (on the first rung of the ladder)

It's a lovely friendly little base with some gem routes - it is less money than EZY would be paying though. However you have to make a decison about the long term (if that's waht you're in it for) as transfer to LHR is supposed to be more frequent now and will put you annual income up by about £9k from a new entrant at LGW. I am "hodling out" to see if things improve financially or if the Xfer list gets in motion otherwise I can't see myself doign it long term.