PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Sad Loss
Thread: A Sad Loss
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2007, 07:01
hairyeng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad Loss

I was so sad to learn of the death of Group Captain Pete Whittaker, or Whitto as his friends called him. I met Whitto when he joined 206 Sqn at RAF Kinloss on his first flying tour after finishing training. You could not help but immediately like this mischievous young man, so full of life and energy. It was during this period that we coined one of his favourite expressions. It started after we landed, shall we say, with a 'bit of a bump'. at Kinloss. As we taxied in, I held up my Flight Engineers log on which I had written the words "I flew with Whitto and lived". Before long, stickers were appearing around the Squadron with those words on them and Pete, for many years afterwards, would use this expression to describe his flying career. In truth, he was a fine and talented pilot who brought so much to the Nimrod Fleet by his common sense and professional approach to aviation.

I was honoured to be invited to his wedding when he married the love of his life, Linda. I have never forgotten the reception we had in the garden of his cottage in Conicaval, a small hamlet situated in the Darnaway Forest, near Nairn. A great afternoon and evening, the beer flowed as the sun set on this fantastic rural setting. Linda and Pete went on to have a great life together and were blessed with two fine sons, who have developed into young men that any father would be proud of.

I do have a confession, Whitto, it was me that gave the boys the supermarket trolley to charge around the Officers' Mess at the Families Happy Hour, which resulted in you having a 'hats on interview' with the Station Commander on the following Monday morning.

I know that the Royal Air Force is going through a bad period at the moment, but despite this I also know that Linda and her family will be getting wonderful support from Pete's friends and colleagues who are serving at this present time. Equally, there is great sadness amongst us retired members who served with Pete.

He was a devout Christian, and although I do not share his faith. I know if there is a heaven, Pete will be in the front pew. The Royal Air Force, and society in general have lost a fine man, and both are a lesser place for his parting.

Fly High My Friend. I did fly with Whitto and Live.