PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 13th Feb 2007, 01:22
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Scurvy.D.Dog, you state:
even without EGPWS, are you telling us that TCAS and presumably RADAR installations is safer and more cost effective than ADS-B and fitment subsidy!
No, I am not. The fact is that TCAS and radar presently exist, whereas ADS-B ‘in’ does not exist in any certified form. I’m sure ADS-B is the way to go in the long term, however I believe that is up to a decade away.
Why not harmonise with the rest of the world? Let’s have the advantages of TCAS now.
I agree that TCAS is not perfect, but it is certainly better than no TCAS. If it were not, the United States and other leading aviation countries would not have the requirement.
I wonder if the “fitment subsidy” is nothing but a pipe dream. As stated many times on this site, the airlines (namely, Qantas) refuse to have a bar of it. They were not going to spend $100 million of their “savings” in subsidising GA aircraft. The Qantas pilots may have thought it was a good idea, but their bosses did not – and I’m sure you know who has the maximum sway at the moment.