PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 12th Feb 2007, 22:13
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
How does it prove that I read it?

With reference to the NS article, it says that the MOD and FCO see climate change as a source of future security problems. My opinion is that we must spend more of research into alternative energy sources, and reducing our energy consumption, but that is another topic.

I feel it is a little unfair on the MOD, which does take enviromental considerations seriously as does the defence industry. I bet the carbon footprint of BAE Systems is lower than that of Tescos.

The two paragraphs that I quoted sum up my fears. By configuring our forces for primarily low tech assymetric threats, an aggresor with a limited amount of conventional systems could wreak havoc that we (both as a nation and as part of the West) would have problems dealing with.

I think I have stated my opinion repeatedly. Incidentally it was offering opinions (and not just facts) that Tourist was critical off. Not surprising since the sub topic under discussion (MASC) does not appear to have been properly considered by the MOD or anyone else, my comments were indeed speculation, but largely based on basic physics.........

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 12th Feb 2007 at 22:56.