PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US bid to enable arming of US pilots on all flights
Old 12th Feb 2007, 15:39
pakeha-boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....I have argued this point on previous posts.....I would agree with the sentiments from both sides,and are of the opinion that guns dont have a place in the cockpit.The other so-called "weapons"...crash axe,flare gun are all weapons but they have an obvious purpose,a defined purpose .....

For those of us who are part of the FFDO programme,will tell you it is one of the best training phases you will go through,the roles are defined ,the rules of engagement are defined.I do not argue that things can and will go wrong,but with training and understanding,just like our normal cockpit duties,we can hopefully avoid catasrophic situations.

We all have a choice,I have a choice,I dont knock anyone who is against this policy of arming pilots or having armed individuals on board,it has been going on for many years on many airlines,and the statistics speak for themselves.

I flew the morning of 911(just like many of you)KLAS-KJFK....diverted into KDTW....these things you never forget.I,m not sure arming pilots is the best solution,but it is "one" of the best we have currently,hopefully that will change.Just trying to put my best foot forward and be part of a better solution.

And for those of you who knock the FFDO(armed pilots) programme,....unless youve been through the programme,your bias is unfounded.....PB