PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reclining seats send airline tempers soaring
Old 12th Feb 2007, 13:03
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I say AGAIN, don't blame your discourteous fellow pax, blame the greedy couldn't-care-less-about-the-customers airlines
I'm sorry, but I simply cannot follow the logic trail behind this? Maybe I'm being thick, but it seems to me:
  • An airline sells the customers a product, namely a seat. There are a choice of products/seats available, some being more expensive than others.
  • The customer then makes a decision as to which product to buy, or, if the product is not what is required, then makes a decision not to buy.
  • If the airline creates a product that does not reflect the market value of the price charged, that airline will eventually cease trading.
How is this greed? I'm missing something... The purchase of an economy seat entitles the customer to the purchased product, not a different, more expensive one. This is incidentally, the issue that I have with the knee defender mentioned previously. Notwithstanding the missing element of courtesy and consideration, the knee defender implicitly assumes that the rights of one individual take precedence over another, as a result of a commercial purchase. I have no doubt that there are a host of justifications given by the vendor and users of the product. I regard them as smoke and mirrors, designed to mask the fact that one person has decided that they want something, and everyone else can go hang!

P.S. posted as an individual, not a mod, so feel free to disagree!