PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kneeboards
Thread: Kneeboards
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2007, 11:18
Ioan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's another accident almost directly linked:
http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resou...CHZ%201-06.pdf

Guy comes lands at an airfield in an R22, while hover taxiing (with wind from the left), needs to move the cyclic to the left. Cyclic catches under his kneeboard attachment strap, heli starts drifting right. He tries to free the cyclic but in doing so lifts his foot off the left pedal. Heli rapidly yaws right, right skid contacts the ground, and the heli rolls over.

I've personally never lost paperwork in the air, nor has my kneeboard come undone. In the 22s though I find kneeboards a real pain in the backside. There just isn't the room for them, it DOES interfere with the cyclic. I try to twist it round so that a similar accident never occurs to me, but I still don't like wearing it.

Personally I'm considering getting some kind of flightsuit, perhaps one of the transair ones. Might look a **** and I've no doubt I'll get the piss taken by some - being PPL not mil - but those clear plastic windows on the knees look a far better idea.

ps - I've never lost paperwork in flight. Please tell me i'm not the only one though who's come in and landed with lots of people watching - nice landing, shut down - then open the door and have a cascade of maps, papers etc fall out all over the floor. Kinda loses the cool image when you spend the next 30 seconds chasing papers round the airfield