PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Finningley/Lindholme 1950s
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2007, 07:19
chevvron

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts
I remember my brother telling me that during ATC camp at Lindholme in '61, there were several Lincolns on the fire dump. Mainstay at that time were the Varsities, as they were when I went to camp there in '65; I don't remember Hastings there at this time, but there was certainly at least one still in a hangar when I was working at the radar unit there in '73, the airfield having closed the previous year. At this time, the Strike Command Bombing School was still active, and we were constantly getting Vulcans from Finningley flying over.
My cadets did camp there in '72 but I was unable to attend; at this time there was some sort of maintenance base for Victors, there being several in the hangars.
The radar unit using a Type 82 10cm radar (excellent piece of kit; no MTI and with a 20 or 30nm radius overhead and originally designed for air defence) was situated west of the airfield just across the main road. In '65 it was called Humber Radar; by the time I was posted there it had been re-named Northern Radar; I think it was closed in about '74 or '75