PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2007, 06:23
Globaliser
Too mean to buy a long personal title

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
The reason I didn't take the Piccadilly line was the usual one - delays were announced due to engineering works on the day in question. Also I didn't have the time to get from Chancery Lane to Thiefrow in the time the Underground takes.
Whichever way you look at it, £37 return from Thiefrow to Chancery Lane is completely outrageous.
It certainly is. But even if you had to take the HEX + Tube, you did choose to pay over the odds for the trip. There was no reason for you to pay £4 each way for the Tube trips. So (assuming that you did your research as thoroughly as you say) that was a purely voluntary donation by you to TfL's coffers.

Obviously, without knowing about the delays that day, I can't say whether I would have made the same decision as you. But if there had been no engineering works, I don't think that it would have taken you any longer to go by Tube from Chancery Lane to Heathrow than it would have taken you to Tube to Paddington and then to take the HEX. Of course, your researches would have uncovered the fact that HEX + Tube would have saved you no time over Tube only, if all had been working well.
Originally Posted by BEagle
"What would you say are Heathrow's:
Strengths? - NONE whatsoever.
Even LHR's greatest detractors normally recognise the vast array of international destinations served non-stop, the choice of airlines, and the consequent frequency of service. The question for each of us is whether we're prepared to put up with the cr@p that comes with it. Many people aren't, and that's fine for them. But if you don't even recognise the airport's balancing strengths, then either your travel is limited to a narrow selection of places that happen to be well served by some other airport and you therefore have no need at all for LHR's strengths, or you're simply expressing an unreasonable toys-thrown-out-of-pram type prejudice.