PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 12th Feb 2007, 02:17
Capn Bloggs

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts
Dick,
a small number of air traffic controllers in Australia do not want TCAS to be used as mitigation, as they believe that aircraft to aircraft safety devices are not in their best interests?
You ARE joking, aren't you? If you really believe this (and your other theory about AsA bosses lining their pockets) you really do need to see someone.

I agree that the mandatory radio “calling in the blind,” which we have in our CTAFs, has safety problems – but not as many as modern TCAS.
And so do I. When ICAO approves TCAS as a separation tool (as they did with radio many years ago), then we'll use it too.

All the CTAFs I fly into don't have "calling the blind". They all have AFRUs. If using one of those is too hard, then said pilot shouldn't have a licence.

Lastly, TCAS is no good because your bugsmasher mates don't have to have it below 10k (as I said to you in a previous post, with no response forthcoming. That's pretty weak but is in keeping with your policy of not answering when the truth hurts).

Last edited by Capn Bloggs; 12th Feb 2007 at 03:37.