PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 12th Feb 2007, 01:19
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Icarus2001, the number of 190 airline aircraft that are not equipped with TCAS came to me from an industry source. Even if some aircraft are voluntarily fitted, I’m sure you will agree that it is quite an anomaly in Australian regulations.

Let’s say there are only 100 aircraft which do not have TCAS. Why should the passengers in these 100 aircraft fly to sub-standard safety rules compared to flying in other leading aviation countries?

Scurvy.D.Dog, you quote putytat (I believe) in stating:

5. TCAS cannot be used as mitigation.
Who said so? Do you really accept that 1950s radio “calling in the blind” techniques can be used for mitigation, but modern and proven TCAS cannot be? Aren’t you getting mixed up with the fact that a small number of air traffic controllers in Australia do not want TCAS to be used as mitigation, as they believe that aircraft to aircraft safety devices are not in their best interests? Or do you have some other explanation as to why TCAS cannot be used for safety mitigation?

I agree that the mandatory radio “calling in the blind,” which we have in our CTAFs, has safety problems – but not as many as modern TCAS. What do you think?