PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB and Rudders
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2002, 11:39
MasterGreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shore Guy : I was under the impression this was a "after take off - low level climb event", so your premise of :

"At the altitude/speed these events occurred, normally a pilots feet are on the floor, letting the yaw damper system do its job."

Is probably an orange herring and is suspect in every way. I don't know your background - although your profile says "Major Airline". I will be generous and assume an RTFQ error before I rant on.

411A has got it just about on the button here I fear. There is a new generation of "handlers", not "pilots", out there who can only fly the way they have been taught. This is not to say they can't fly - but they are severely limited in their experience and backgrounds and this is the new way of it. Unfortunately this is the "new thing". Automation takes the place of systems knowledge and skill / feel is replaced by, yes, another computer system.

On a positive note there is a very good article on Upsets and Recovery here :. . . .<a href="http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_03/textonly/fo01txt.html" target="_blank">Aero Magazine Web Page</a>