PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair: approach incidents in the news
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2007, 22:09
captainpaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inveritas,

Perhaps I misunderstand your post.

"The public will still fly with Ryanair, the stockmarket will still support Ryanair, MOL will just have an even more entrenched view on pilots pay and the only people who will suffer in all this spin are the collective Ryanair pilot's reputations."

Do you suggest we stop, stand by and see what happens? I understand your bitterness. If I were a hard working, law abiding Ryanair pilot (I accept that most, if not all, are) I would also be bitter about the fact that many see the problem as lying with the individual pilot. I agree that much of the discussion on this forum (not just this thread) is misguided and uneseccarily directed at the pilots themselves. But these things need to be highlighted, albeit with careful discussion. The misinformed will self righteously point the finger at one pilot and say 'I would never have done that. I am better than he' but my understanding of the basic direction of this thread and many others like it is that the truth is more complex than that and more deeply rooted in the style of the hand that governs. Perhaps with regard your companys statement on their website you will realise that the hand that governs is responsible for the 'inuendo' and 'nasty questions' that you refer to, rather than union reps.

It may be in the future we will be forced to agree through evidence or time or both that all was not as bad as we originally thought, but surely you must agree that it is better to seek an answer and resolution now than to 'tut tut' about missed opportunities later on.

Leo,

Your press releases and particularly your wonderful spiel on your website seem to indicate that there were just four rogue, unskilled and incompetent pilots who were responsible for the investigated incidents. I presume it was likely the same four who were responsible for the approaches into STN? How can you be so obtuse as to believe that your management team have no possibility of earning a portion of the blame? If your pilots have any adverse reaction to the recent events, at least they know where it came from.

To anyone who thinks that this is not about an attempt to have the public believe what is most useful, regardless of the accuracy or element of truth, I quote from Ryanairs website:

"Ryanair’s computerised inflight data monitoring system provides the airline with details of the speed and altitude of every aircraft during every flight. It is Ryanair’s unique ability to identify these errors which has given rise to these reports."

Hopefully, one day, other airlines may have Flight Data Monitoring too.

This is a war of words. And Leo recognises the threat. Hence his presence here.