PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair: approach incidents in the news
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2007, 19:43
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leo, if you would re-read my post. For clarification, I will re-quote the bit you refer to here with some emphasis on the relevant bits:
What are the pressures on the commanders if there is an inherent atmosphere of intimidation or bullying from the corporate management for delays that cannot be satisfactorily explained
You appear to have conveniently left out the question mark at the end of that bit. Now, I raised the question in light of the fact that it was an Irish High Court judge that found the management style to be repressive and bullying and inferred that there was an atmosphere of intimidation from within the Ryanair management. If, there is indeed an atmosphere of intimidation or bullying within the company, which you categorically deny, then that could be a factor that should be investigated by the relevant authority or regulator.

My own sources, current and ex-Ryanair pilots, are that there is indeed a problem with the management style which is filtered down from the very top of the company. I stand to be corrected if my assumptions are wrong. However, a flat denial by Leo Hairy Camel does not do it for me. Anyone with such a rabid anti-union stance and the inability to disassociate that stance from anything remotely connected with it leaves you with little, if any, credibility amongst your fellow colleagues and pilot brethren.

As I tried to point out in the thread that relates to the Minima busting approaches at STN last year, it was not only Ryanair that had a/c break the rules. If Leo's angst and kneejerk reaction is to jump to a defence when none is actually required, then perhaps he is feeling guilty. He doth protest too much.

We have already stated on this and other threads that Ryanair is going to be spotlighted more than others if only for the fact that they are bigger and operate more sectors than all the other LoCo's. That is going to be a burden that they have to bear, not just because of the managerial problems that surface due to their litigious nature but because statistically they are more likely to have an incident. The discussion on here and the reports in Flight International are just a product of those statistics.

Finally, for Leo to impugn the journalistic skills of David Learmount is a bit wide of the mark. At least he doesn't try to pretend he is above the rest of us with his knowledge of Latin! Unfortunately for him, if as you suggest, he has been given unlimited access to the goings on within Ryanair, does that mean that he is therefore not supposed to say anything that might be detrimental to their management style? I think I detect a whiff of the undercurrent that that so many of Ryanairs pilots and other staff complain about and we are highlighting here and in Flight International.