PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind Quickstops
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2007, 17:25
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Okay, I'll bite. I used to fly a "field ship" in the GOM. Ten platforms total. I was bouncing around the field one day, headed for "Charlie" platform but there was another ship already there, picking up or dropping off someone. He wasn't going to be there long, so I pulled into a 700' hover just downwind of the platform.

Taking a rare opportunity to "play" a little, I started sliding left and right, fore and aft. On one of my slides to the rear, I must have let a little RoD build up (not paying attention?). Next thing I know, the ship is shuddering and sinking...fast backward. Oops. Okay, correct it. Pulling collective did nothing but increase the RoD. Yikes! Water coming up fast...like an idiot I dropped the nose. Wrong corrective action, RoD increased more, dropping vertically now. Heart firmly in throat, I'm waiting, waiting, waiting for ETL. Finally got it and was able to fly away, arresting the RoD at 100' *indicated* (we know how altimeters lag). Got a rate of climb established and started breathing again. It was close.

Glad I hadn't decided to hover around at 500 feet or I would have pranged a perfectly good 206B into the water with no good explanation why. At the time I had about 7 or 8,000 hours. And we wonder sometimes how so-called "experienced" pilots can crash doing extremely dumb things? I do not even question it anymore - I'm living proof that it can happen (the dumb mistake part).