PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 3
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 3
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2007, 17:22
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
Last Tuesday (6 Feb), I was due to fly from BHX-DUS on LH4933, then DUS-STR. As I waited at the gate at around 1115, the aircraft 'went tech'. We were told to go back to the main lounge and that we would know more at 1135. At 1135, that became 1210....then 1230. Distrusting the poor information we were being given, I rang the LH Senator line to investigate the alternatives. I was told that it would be possible to fly via ZRH with Swiss at 1335, as long as I booked by 1235. So I kept that up my sleeve whilst waiting (with several others) for more news. The ladies in the 'Charnley Suite' were as helpful as they could be, given the poor information they were receiving. But at around 1225 I received a sms telling me that the ETD was now 1310. I'd already worked out that 1300 was the latest I could accept to make my connection, so called LH Senator again to do rebook with Swiss. Clunk, click, done - excellent!

Then I had to get Security to let me out again, so that I could go to the airline desk. No problems, quick and efficient.....

But then I came up against Aviance.... 3 or 4 people waiting, only 1 agent who was being less than effective. I apologised to those waiting and asked whether this was also the Star Alliance desk for my rebooked flight. "No - you'll have to go to Swissport in the other terminal" was the reply. So off I trod and spoke to a very efficient young chap at the check-in desk who promptly issued both my new boarding cards. "What about my suitcase? It's already on the LH4933", I asked. He suggested I spoke to Swissport - so over to the Swissport desk. A very helpful chap took my details, then rang Aviance. It was a simple question - would LH take my suitcase to STR knowing that I was rebooked via ZRH, or would my suitcase need to be transferred to the Swiss flight? He was given lie after lie by the idiots at Aviance, finally he apologised profusely and said that I would have to go back to collect my suitcase from 'overized baggage' as Aviance were incapable of bringing it direct to the check-in desk. "They are not really giving you a Gold Card service, Sir", he added. So - back to the other terminal to 'oversize baggage' to find about 4 or 5 people slouching about doing bugger all. After a few minutes I asked about my suitcase - and it was like talking to guppy fish at feeding time. However, I finally recovered my suitcase and went back again to Swiss check-in. Clunk, click, done - new bag tag issued, up to departures, through security and onto the jet......

Made it to STR to meet my colleague, grateful thanks to all at Swissport.

But Aviance? What a bloody joke. GET OFF YOUR BACKSIDES AND PROVIDE A SERVICE!!

I'm flying on the same BHX-DUS next week and will make a point off popping over to Swissport to thank them for their excellent, helpful service.

As we taxied out at 1335, I could see the LH4933 just beginning to push back. So, had I believed Aviance/Lufthansa I would have missed my connection.....