PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Small airfield(s) near Geneva
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2007, 16:30
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, thanks for all the useful advice given. In the end we flew to Cannes from where we set off to Gap but returned to Fayence due weather. Next day we did Chambéry and then started heading South, landing in a grass strip in Herault, in a fantastic place called Langongne. There is a cozy refuge at the airfield where one can stay for whatever you care to contribute. We didn't stay there as the keeper was not in when we arrived, but we met in the next morning when we were freezing our pairs off inside the plane planning our next leg and he came to offer us to come inside and prepared some hot coffee for us. His local advice was also much appreciated to safely get out of the marginal weather in a mountain area. I very much recommend a stopover for a cup of coffee and some good conversation.

Anyway, from there we made our way back to Girona along the coast, with a quick stop at LEAP for lunch. Great trip overall. One thing I am particularly satisfied with (and I've flown in France a few times previously) is the quality of French controllers--such as great service, always one and a half steps ahead.

Some information which might be useful to anyone planning to fly in the area:

Landing fees:
* Cannes: €9 1/2 for less than three hours parking, €14 for 24hr (C172)
* Fayence: Free
* Chambéry: €10
* Langogne: Free

Fuel (AVGAS 100LL):
* Cannes: €1.62/ltr
* Chambéry: €1.71/ltr

Amenities:
* Cannes: Crew room with coffee and internet, printers available.
* Fayence: A decent restaurant and cafe at the airfield.
* Chambéry: Not much, really. Bottled water at €4.- and stale sandwiches at €5.-
* Langogne: That great refuge I've mentioned. It's got a few bedrooms accommodating about 4/6 people each, a kitchen, toilets, showers, a big dinner, hangar, etc.

Hope this helps, thanks again.