PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB and Rudders
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2002, 02:01
BOING

This has been a long time coming but is not unexpected. It has been quite obvious that far too many procedures are being implemented on the basis of a little knowledge and a lot of SIMULATOR testing by people not competent to formulate such procedures. The last time I commented on this subject the return post questioned whether I had ever heard of a rudder load limiter since the respondant clearly considered that these items would always prevent structural problems. Unfortunately I returned from a trip too late to make an effective reply.. . As a cost cutting measure commercial aviation training nowadays focuses on routine flight profiles using autoflight systems with almost zero training on aviation fundamentals and aircraft handling. The cynical assumption is that pilots bring this knowledge to the job (or that in modern commercial operations they do not need this training). This may be true for certain ex-military pilots but it is resoundingly not true for the present day run-of-the-mill entrant in the US. This is not to denigrate the ABILITY of these entrants it is to point out their LACK OF EXPOSURE. It is easy to see how new pilots would buy into the idea that the aircraft manufacturer has solved all the possible handling problems. This is the viewpoint encouraged by flight training departments who prefer the sausage machine approach to keep costs down. If you need examples of the lack of basic aircraft handling knowledge of many pilots just remember all the comments by the brave souls who were going to carry out high altitude aerobatics in a transport aeroplane to upset hijackers.. . In the case of the use of rudder to recover from upsets the idea started out quite sensibly - if you needed a little help to speed up a roll use an amount of rudder. Unfortunately, over the years the "little help" turned into an automatic application of full rudder regardless of actual flight conditions. I see this every training session. This attitude is encouraged by simulator programming which often provides negative training. In our simulators the box will not allow upset recovery until it has reached predefined upset limits EVEN IF THE AEROPLANE WOULD HAVE RECOVERED UNDER THOSE SAME CONDITIONS. Therefore use of full rudder is encouraged. If the aeroplane (simulator) does not recover with the rudder you have applied - try some more. Since the simulator is programmed not to recover inevitable full rudder is eventually applied. Negative training.