PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short term helo solutions - what's happening & what would we like to see happening?
Old 11th Feb 2007, 12:46
microlight AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
options

If the Chinook (HC.3?) problem is resolved I will assume that will make a big difference to heavy SH capacity. If they get some twin prop transports (c.27 or similar) for in-theatre support that should relieve the heavy SH and reduce the burden on the old hercs. So, then maybe we will have enough biguns to keep things moving. Just so long as Mr Bliar doesn't get tempted to join in any other adventures on tiop of existing debacles.

If the current Lynx is unsuitable for the hot & high stuff then it seems that there is a need for a basic wagon to plug the gap prior to F-Lynx coming along. Having read the comments about difficulties with access by side doors, I do wonder why we never had Wastelands build the S-61R under licence when the Commando helicopters were built. That ramp must shirley have made the aircraft more versatile. The biggest advantage of the tail ramp would appear to be that you can get in & out very quickly with awkward loads, particularly stretchers. So, that rules out the 412.
How about the NH90? Would that not be a good option betweem F-Lynx and Merlin/Chinook?

If the SeaKing improvements help take off the pressure until new kit is available that will be good. There will probably be a market for the improved SeaKing when we've finished with them.

The Puma seems to be approaching its sell-by date. Unless the Romanians can re-start production. i bet thiose Portuguese ones are knackered boneshakers. The NH90 seems a far better bet due to having a ramp.

Here's a thought to stir things up... Anyone remember the old Westland WG.30 ? It never attracted any orders and I seem to recall that it was underpowered. I wonder how that airframe combined with the same engines as Apache AH.1 might perform. Have Wastelands still got the jigs?

Of course this all comes down to money. Do we need JSF ?? Cancel that, operate one fast jet (Typhoon) and sort out AT & SH. Then we just need a government that recognises reality and doesn't expect our armed forces to operate beyond the capabilities of what the exchequer provides.

Whatever the outcome, you chaps at the sharp end have my utmost admiration. You deserve bettter. I'm glad nobody shoots at me when I'm trying to land in a respectable fashion.