PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First user fees, now speed bumps...
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2007, 10:54
EastMids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, not low time, but as you say, 4 hours in the last 90 days, so possibly somewhat out of practice. Was that 1200+ hours over 5 years, 15 years, 50 years? Could make a difference. Now, I have my Pooleys open at the Shobdon page.... Hmmm...I can see an east-est runway, and a couple of grass strips for gliders and microlights. There's one or two square black and red things that might be buildings, or might not. Am I supposed to know what they are? Probably, but I don't suppose I'd think of that before leaving for Shobdon, and possibly neither did this chap. After all, there's not too much that looks like an airfield, is there? No...except for a newly built bit of road, with an east-west orientation. As for the lamp post and tree, he hit those after he veered off the road.
Pilot had 1207 hours in 27 years - 44 a year, which is probably similar to many PPLs. Had been to Shobdon three times before. Quote from AAIB "When close to touchdown the pilot noticed that the airfield was different to what he remembered"... And not wanting to inflame another debate again, but joined downwind rather than overhead, had been advised four other a/c approaching (which he presumably didn't see landing on a road four miles away)... And hasn't Shobdon got an NDB???
Not wanting to be over-critical (there but by the grace... one day, maybe!), but one can easily see with hindsight the trail of minor issues that eventually build into a big one.
Andy