PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind Quickstops
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2007, 12:14
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rudestuff
“Of course, should you allow yourself to settle at too high a rate - usually through bad power management (don't USE enough power) or exceeding the A/C's capabilities (don't HAVE enough power) then you'll experience VRS and the ATW (Associated Trouser-Washing) that follows...”

Not bollocks at all, you nailed the SWP examples and I really appreciated the bit about the extra ˝ inch. I think in your above scenario I’d be much more worried about blade stall, esp. in an R22. Not VRS

Graviman
“Also, I assume a QS is the helicopter equivalent of a fixed wing Chandelle? So it is a coordinated turn in a very steep bank”

Just to confirm the others, definitely not. In the syllabus the QS should be done at the same level and terminating to the hover – exactly- or do it again.

As a matter of a manipulative exercise it is a good manoeuvre, to learn just the beginnings of the big world of a very manipulatory beast and it may even save your life one day.

You may have seen Dennis Kenyon? (Right spelling??) doing a similar manoeuvre – ad nauseum – to your chandelle in his routine, which is similar to the Torque turn that I talked about in that it is a 180 turn.

The difference with the torque turn when done correctly it is done in a straight line ~ feet on the floor, pull-up from cruise speed, at the top of climb, give it just a slight lead with cyclic, the A/C becomes stationary for a half second as it then rotates from its own torque and go back down the same line.

Antitorque, is same same except you roll the throttle off at the top (Not too much) to rotate the other way. The trick is to never allow the A/C to go back down in its own disturbed air.

We use it mustering, we get to the end of our line (say 6k long) we torque turn back the other way. There are two reasons for the zoom climb;
1) If you are working with another machine your mate with you will be conditioned to look your way at that time and visually check that you are in the right place according to him and of course - all OK. Esp. with RS radios.
2) you have a good look around at the big picture afore you go back down to the recalcitrants

A good thing about the torque turn or any pull up is that it is a good idea to leave your disc pointed at the ground if you can –in any quadrant, but best toward the wind. That gives you a far greater ‘airspeed potential’ if the noise stops. Just follow the disc down.

Shy, the blokes that go backwards, are as you suggest, a bit mixed up with command and control.

But they bloody do at times, one of the traps that we check pilots in our game always set, is to make them deliberately over-run their target when they have done a quick stop into wind and further distract them hoping they then turn to follow it downwind , *@*$%# F”N so and so etc etc. Now Einstein lets do the right procedure which is, you overshot - forget the target - translate into wind – get a safe A/S – then turn back and start again.

It’s also a favourite mistake of the lesser experienced shooting pilots. Following a moving target, especially when they’re looking for an extra 1/2".

It's the main reason why shooting clients look down their snooter at any pilot with less than 1500 mustering.

Also it undoubtedly is the one greatest single cause of low time sad times, when some kid has a pax with a camera. And in the scenario that RF paints, around the mate’s house, ugh!