PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAC One-Eleven
Thread: BAC One-Eleven
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2007, 14:30
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Memory:
1-11 200 Series
(equivalent to the DC 9-10 Series - The one with no rear stairs and detachable tail-cone for emergency exit)
Very Reliable - TDR of what one expects today.

BUA/BCAL Standard Configuration of 79Y Seats.
Although over the years various F/Y and other Configurations.
Usual Airstairs at rear, but BUA/BCAL Used Towable steps at the front.
The 1-11 Series I have the greatest affection for.

1-11 400 Series - Lakers ones, again very good TDR
84 Seats Charter Configuration.

1-11 500 Series - BCAL - TDR a problem - CSD Shearing (thanks for reminding of that me BoredCounter) and Air Systems being the ever present concerns

The Air System problem was often the Links between Ducting becoming detached and always it appeared at the places where access was to say the least difficult , so Engineers would need to work in positions that the human body was not designed to adopt.
BCAL Configurations - Many over the years but:
Schedules - 8F 80Y (With variants for Tripoli), 104Y, 99Y (latterly with movebale Curtain to creat a C Class area :-)

Charter - 114Y
After Courtline introduced the 119Y Charter Configuration with Seat Back 'Catering'. BCAL Tried it, but it didn't last (Thank God).

As Jetties became more common the 1-11 Series caused problems because the Front Airstair compartment (even if not fitted) was concealed by the Main Passenger Door, so if a if a jetty used it had to dock well below the Passenger cabin floor level resulting in a dangerously high step down. There was as far as I am aware never an elegant solution to this problem. With at LGW A Wooden Step and several attempts at Hook-on Ramps.

Those were the days - Good and Bad.