PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First user fees, now speed bumps...
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2007, 10:24
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can just about envisage a scenario where this might happen....

You're a fairly low hours pilot, and you've never been to Shobdon before. The visibility isn't all that wonderful, which means that east of Shobdon there aren't an awful lot of abvious landmarks. (In non-perfect vis there aren't; I learned to fly helicopters there; I know the area well). You know it's a small airfield, with one shortish east-west runway. You have no idea what it's got in the way of hangars and other aircraft. And you're a little bit stressed because this is all somewhat new to you, or for some other reason, so you aren't thinking 100% clearly. But you're talking to Shobdon, and suddenly, close to where it ought to be, a runway shows up!!! What else could it be but Shobdon? It's got obstacles at either end, and no cars on it, so it can't be a road. And it's in the right direction. And there are no other airfields around here. So you land....

Let's face it, pilots have made sillier mistakes. I knew someone who landed at Llanbedr, thinking it was Caernarfon. I once nearly landed at that gliding site to the north of Kemble, realised my mistake on downwind, and when I told Kemble, they knew exactly where I was, as it had happened so often before. This sort of mistake isn't that hard to make...and it's easy to be wise after the event.

It IS funny! But seriously, it could happen very easily.