PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air pilots still suffer from hierarachical system.
Old 9th Feb 2007, 10:04
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I interviewed with KAL in 11/06. I was offered a DEC position in 12/06. After considering the fundamental issues such as QOL and one's dignity versus the $$$$, I declined their offer.

Not withstanding the NASA medical, the interview with the pilot board was absurd to say the least. You wait outside of a room, await for a bell and viola, you are granted entrance to the KAL Inner Sanctum. Screw that crap! I don’t care… the tinker’s little bell was an indication of KAL’s culture and training philosophy… “subservience”. I know, I know... the old saying goes, "Cooperate and Graduate" applies in most circumstances, however, IMHO, one’s dignity to and the requirement to sign over your soul in order to successfully complete the training just isn’t worth it.

I would hope that the same KAL philosophy applies to the simulator portion of the training, since Boeing-Alteon provides that portion of the training.

By the way, while in training, and on duty, you will be a prisoner, er, be a resident of the Inchon Hyatt Regency Hotel. The accommodation are superior, but the cost for your existence along with a 50% discount is still rather steep.

Again, my QOL and self dignity far outweigh the $$$$$, which when added up really is not all that great compared to other contracts out there... again IMHO.

Oh by the way you’ll submit to their NASA medicals every six months... so good luck.