PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue on Blue.
Thread: Blue on Blue.
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2007, 08:39
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Understandably, most take a view of this tragedy after the event. But others have an obligation before the event to reduce the risk to as low as reasonably possible.

Not all fratricide, but consider these cases and ask what the common denominators are;

LCoH Hull / A10
Hercules ESF
Sgt Roberts’ Combat Body Armour
Tornado / Patriot
Sea King AEW collision
Mull of Kintyre

I wonder how many of these inquests would be still in adjournment if the full facts were known, by the Coroner or the families. You only have to read the BOI reports and then ask if the main points were addressed at the inquest or within the MoD. And, more pertinently, were they known about beforehand. Mr Walker (the Asst Coroner) has shown himself willing to make a stand in this most recent case, but it would appear only because evidence was brought to his attention via an unofficial route. Judging by other recent cases (Tornado and Sea King for example), I don’t think the Coroner actually demands answers to issues raised by the BOI. Or at least it’s not reported. Perhaps he does this in camera. I’m not sure if his remit covers this. I get the feeling Mr Walker is acutely aware the MoD routinely withholds key evidence and his recent actions may be borne of long frustration. Well done Sir.

Some of the above examples have been, or are being, ameliorated, to a point. ESF being fitted (slowly). ECBA being bought (too little too late). IFF failure warnings being integrated (but why not do it in the first case, or later, when you were told to). ACL refitted (but why remove it at all when HISL was unfit for purpose). They even did something about Mull (applied the rules properly and grounded Mk3s). I wonder what they’ll do –re Combat ID?

Common factors? All were, I suspect, predictable, predicted and ignored, to a greater or lesser extent. A reactive, not proactive approach. Abrogation of Duty of Care.

Get the basics right. Dig the foundations deep. Give the guys at the front line every chance.