PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue on Blue.
Thread: Blue on Blue.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2007, 21:01
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US Herk, don't get me wrong, I don't for a second believe that these pilots should be thrown in the clink for this. I absolutely accept your point that it is impossible to understand the stresses these guys were under from the comfort of an armchair. I am sickened by the sight of the great British media circus camped outside this man's house tonight. As usual they have missed the big picture, by going for a shallow, emotive angle. Why aren't they focussing their energies on discovering the identities of MoD personnel who lied to Mrs Hull? Or finding out why we have no way of effectively tracking our troops? And establishing some accountability?

I just feel for Mrs Hull in all this. 4 years have passed since her husband died. She has had no closure and until last week she did not realise that a video existed showing the death of her husband. There is absolutely no excuse for this. The video was shown at the BoI 3 years ago.

I understand that the US operates a closed system and who is to say this is wrong. Your country's record in looking after its troops is second to none. However, we do not have a closed system. It is a matter of British law that an inquest has to be held. And we do not have a good record in looking after our people. However, if the HUD video was so sensitive why could the US authorities not have invited Mrs Hull over for a private showing of the video on US soil? It could have been explained to her that this was a tragedy that probably should not have happened and that your people were very sorry, but that tragedies such as this one, do happen in war.

She only wanted to know the truth. Now we have the disastrous situation of having the very worst of our press camped outside this man's home, interviewing anyone who will speak to them. Whilst Mrs Hull's life is being turned over for a second time.

I do not believe that ignoring the plight of the bereaved family can possibly be condoned and I do not believe that this case has been satisfactorily handled either by the US DoD or our own MoD. In fact, it stinks.

Last edited by nigegilb; 8th Feb 2007 at 22:09.