PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue on Blue.
Thread: Blue on Blue.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2007, 17:14
rab-k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US Herk.

Some particularly salient points you make there. A 'no blame culture' is one which those involved in anything concerning the safety of others seeks to achieve, in the hope that open and honest reporting leads to fewer mistakes. However, if negligence is proven then appropriate action should be taken.

The problem here as seen this side of the pond is that Govt. departments from both sides were seen to be party to a "cover-up", which is not "Rumour", but fact. The wife of the deceased was told that no such video existed. Now guess what is airing in the media? If that is not a "cover-up" then I don't know what is.

The scum Journo's sadly didn't need do much digging once his name was known. (Google can be an enemy as well as a friend). Perhaps the real scum is the one who let it slip in the first place, closely followed by the ones who authorised its publication.

Either way the system is not being seen to be both fair and open to all involved, hence the greater criticism is being directed at those responsible for it, more so than the individuals concerned.

Edit

PS My last on this - time would be better spent writing to my local MP to express my disgust at the shoddy behaviour of his Govt. and its Ministers. However, for all you service personnel who might scorn or dismiss the civvy input into this thread, one final thought - it is the ability to question both the actions and authority of the State, in all its forms, that makes for a democracy. Never forget that for you in uniform, it is we the civilians who may be your only chance of establishing the truth, however uncomfortable our questions and accusations make some of your superiors feel.

Last edited by rab-k; 8th Feb 2007 at 18:04.