PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue on Blue.
Thread: Blue on Blue.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2007, 16:46
US Herk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two things to consider as I finally succumb to the blood rushing from my well-bitten tongue...

A - Not only do we all sit here in 1g comfort to pass judgement, but we also know the outcome of the tape before we even view it. How can anyone who was not there even consider these events in the true time relationship they happened. It is far too easy to dissect a transcript, "hear" inflections where we want, insert our own interpretations of statements, read between the lines, and pass judgment when we already know the horrific outcome. It is more than simple hindsight, it is four years of well-biased hindsight.

B - For the US part, ALL safety investigations are kept strictly private and are not made public. This is to engender a sense of trust between aircrew and investigators so aircrew are forthright when telling their side of the story in the hopes of preventing future mishaps - this goes for all safety investigations. There is, often, another investigation that is made public, but not always. When these investigators question aircrew, lawyers are present, rights are read, & there is a very real threat of administrative & legal retribution. Consequently, information is patchy, at best.

I will not comment on any cover-up, lack of cooperation, or any intent to mislead anyone - these facts simply are not known and are pure conjecture - appropriate for a RUMOUR network I supposed, but not appropriate for hanging anyone (reviled government entitities & inidividuals not excepted). If, however, there proves to be a cover-up, those involved should be prosecuted to the fullest.

I will not acknowledge the journos who published pilot's names, biographies, family names, addresses, et al any further than to spit on them.

That said, mistakes are made. That some, like this one, are tragic, makes them harder to reconcile with apparently factual data such as HUD vid. In no way am I sanctioning blue on blue, nor dismissing it as "Sh*t happens", but I would be interested in seeing some sort of comparison of # of targets serviced, # of sorties flown, # of bombs/bullets dropped vs # of frat incidents. I suspect, but cannot prove, that you will find the percentage of blue on blue to be so small as to be near dismissable by a statistician. We, however, are not statisticians and strive for perfection - especially in this arena where the results are tragic.

Zero blue on blue is a noble, but unachievable goal.

My thoughts and condolences to the families involved - both the deceased & the pilots.