PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Reserve
Thread: RAF Reserve
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2007, 16:45
Talking Radalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They do have a web-site but its all about what fun he will have in the RAF Reserve and nothing about what it might cost me, in time and money, as his employer
Presumably it cost you too much time/money to read further down the website....
Q. Should I inform my employer if I'm thinking of joining the RAuxAF?
A. All new members joining the RAUXAF will be expected to inform their employer accordingly either personally or through their unit. This process, which is called Employer Notification, has been adopted because it is important for all concerned - you, your employer and the MOD - that your employer is supportive and aware of the associated benefits, rights and obligations of employing a member of the RAuxAF. Further information on Employer Notification can be obtained from www.en.mod.uk .
Q. Will I be called up to go to war?
A. By joining the RAuxAF you indicate that you are prepared to take part in active service, whatever its nature, and there are circumstances under which you may be compulsorily mobilised.
Q. If I am called up, will my civilian job be protected?
A. If you are compulsorily mobilised, there are procedures for you to follow to protect your job. If you volunteer for an attachment to the regular RAF then this will usually be in agreement with your employer. Under the Reserve Forces Act 1996, in the event of mobilisation, employers and employees have the right to seek exemption or deferral in certain circumstances
Q. If I am called up, what if I earn more in my civilian job than in the RAuxAF? Will I receive compensation?
A. If you are mobilised and we take you away from a civilian job that pays more, we will top up your military salary within predetermined limits.
And from the Employer Notification page:
Job protection
Your employer is not allowed to use your liability to be mobilised as a reason to terminate your employment.
However, if you need your employer's permission before taking a second job (which is how membership of the VRF must be viewed) and you have not declared your membership, you may be in breach of contract. If you think this may have happened, you should discuss it with your unit Commanding Officer and your employer.
Reinstatement
If you are mobilised, you are entitled to your civilian job back upon demobilisation (provided you follow the procedures you will be briefed on when you are demobilised).
If that is impossible, your employer has to offer the best alternative. That is reasonable and practicable in the circumstances.
At this extremely busy and costly (in more than financial terms) time for the military as a whole, could I just add I find your "What's this gonna cost me?" attitude along with the "It's all just a hoot, isn't it?" undertone a little disappointing.
Good on yer bloke for wanting to join I say. There's another bit on the reservists website about what you can expect to gain as an employer (free of charge):
Q. Will being in the RAuxAF improve my employability?
A. It will undoubtedly give you that chance. Many of the skills and qualities you will get from training in the RAuxAF, such as negotiation, team working, communication, leadership, management and confidence, are transferable across all jobs and work places. In addition you will have the chance to develop specific skills and earn certain qualifications that may be relevant to how you carry out your civilian work.