PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EMIRATES - Wannabees & Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2007, 15:33
CJ30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought i would add a few words of wisdom to all those wishing to join emirates or etihad. I used to work for both as a cabin manager and a trainer and have spent nearly 8 years in the uae so hopefully i do speak from experience.

With regards to interviews, you are always given a list of instructions etc on what to wear etc, follow them, remember this is the only opportunity they have to see if you will look the part, if you cant follow a dress code for an interview then that indicates to them that you may not wear the uniform or make up requirements. Yes they want individual people who can think for themselves but they also need to know that you can follow instructions.

I also appreciate that these interview days can be very nerve wracking and you may think its easy for me to say these things because i passed their recruitment days but take a step back and think, sometimes you can arm yourself with too much information. Remember most of us will come away with a different experience be it good or bad. They want to see the real you but if you are constantly trying to remember the dos and donts from this website then the real you will never shine through!!!! lets be honest you dont have a similar website for interview tips on becoming a nurse or joining a bank....

My best advice to prepare yourself is to read your cv and make sure you can answer any questions on it..... if you say that you work well with people then be prepared to explain why, always use examples where you can. Research the company from their own website and press office, remember a lot of what is posted here is rumour or heresay at least if you take it from the companys website you cant go wrong and remember you are being watched all the time. They dont want to see everyone doing the same thing because they will never be able to gauge your personality.

Please please please note that if certain requirements are asked for then there is a reason like swimming or height or a certain level of english. Think outside the box!! swimming might save your life one day if you crash landed into the sea, height is important as you need to be able to reach the hatracks not only for assisting with luggage but because there is safety equipment in there which you may need to utilise at any point during your flight. English is the universal language spoken on these airlines what happens if the captain or the cabin manager tries to give you important information very quickly on a flight that your life may depend on, they wont have time to repeat themselves so you need to be able to understand straight away. Remember first and foremost your job is all about safety and security..... so if you think along these lines when preparing yourselves for an interview then it shows that you have actually thought about the role that you are going to do and not just how you are going to get through the interview.

The life of a crew member is an amazing one you will either love it or hate it, but remember it is physically demanding so you do need to be reasonably fit, you are on your feet for long periods of time, you lift and bend a lot and the aircraft doors are heavy when you are opening and closing them so you shouldnt be counting on the guys to help you out as often it is all female crews. Before you apply and put yourself through a lot of stress think carefully about the role and the implications of living away from home in another country where it will take you time to make friends and settle in and your initial training is hard work you will have to take on board a lot of new information every day and pass an exam every day with at least a 75/80% pass mark.

Hopefully this will make people think a little bit before they make applications because it is a long process it can be stressfull but very rewarding at the same time. So good luck to all of you out there and if i can help with anything then just ask