PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 8th Feb 2007, 12:10
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PQs

Hercules Aircraft

Mr. Hancock:To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how many Hercules aircraft accepted from the contractor after being fitted with foam protection to their fuel tanks (a) were ready for active service and (b) required repairs due to fuel leaks. [117932]

Mr. Ingram:I am withholding the number of Explosion Suppression Foam (ESF) equipped Hercules C-130 aircraft that are available for operations, as this information could prejudice the security of our armed forces.
Fuel leaks were reported on two Hercules C-130 aircraft fitted with ESF. Both aircraft were returned to the contractor for repair and subsequently returned to the Front Line Command.

Further to Ingram's answer. I understand that 3 Hercules aircraft delivered from Marshall's have suffered from fuel leaks. Ingram stated earlier that all of the Hercules ac scheduled for foam will be fitted out by the end of the year. Well, the acceleration of the foam fitting program, promised to me in person does not appear to be happening. 5 x US helos shot down in 3 weeks in Iraq, I ask again, what the hell is happening to this program? Pre-inquest review will take place this month. This issue is not going away and if anything is becoming more urgent.

Last edited by nigegilb; 8th Feb 2007 at 12:43.