PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ramp Landings - Coming soon to a Terminal Near You (Kerean Air Taxiway Landing)
Old 8th Feb 2007, 09:04
Luckyguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Go-around ordered !

Taken from the report

"The runway is equipped with a radio beacon at one end. However, the plane came in from the opposite direction, toward the end without the beacon. The control tower noticed that the aircraft was heading for the taxiway just before it touched down, but allowed it to proceed."

Of course, none of us were there and we can't definitively know when the tower controller realised the aircraft was going to land on the taxiway, however, unless he's on the ground with the weight switches made, it's really never TOO late to go-around. The last thing that the contoller will be doing at that late stage is ensuring that the taxiway is completely clear for an approach and landing to the correct bit of paved surface. Should he have told the guy to go-around ?

A few years ago, I went around from approximately 40 feet and although it's not a desirable state of affairs, it's better than breaking (potentially) an aircraft and lots of people !

I wonder if the controller is implicated or facing a disciplinary procedure. I'm not saying he should because it all depends on when he realised what was about to happen. Perhaps he did a good job because of his awareness of what was happening on the airport as a whole. Perhaps he was completely gobstruck, closed his eyes and couldn't speak !!

Anyway, they got away with it as a group of people landing on a taxiway. But, it's still almost NEVER too late to go-around !

There but for the grace of God etc etc.