PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair: approach incidents in the news
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2007, 08:53
captainpaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theamrad,

You're entitled to have your own opinion. No, no, there's no need to thank me. i insist.

I have joined PPrune to get advice on problems I have encountered, to see what the rest of the aviation community think and fell about certain issues, and to get some idea of how things may change in the future. I am very aware however, that many on these forums are opinionated and incorrect.

Nontheless, if there is any chance for the reality of the RYR situation to come out officially (whether it is good news or bad), I welcome it. I agree that many reports in the past have been badly informed and misleading, but I also believe that they were not deliberately misleading. Aviation is a very difficult business for the public to get their heads around. For a majority of the general public, you could tell them what you like about how a plane flies or what our job entails and they would have no choice but to believe it.

In that respect I am delighted that journalists would take the time to come to forums like these and make an attempt to understand the details of the argument. Any presssure on the IAA is good pressure. Any pressure of RYR to listen to their pilots is good pressure.

You have two choices:

Either accept that these journalists are trying to establish the truth, even if they don't actually get there.

Or accept that every report will be as poor as the previous ones and there is no point in trying again, so we might as well continue to moan forever on our sad little forum where at least there are other people like us crying into our coffee.

Airbus Girl,

I agree with you. I also remember something about paperwork (I have Jeppesen manuals or something like that in my head). And when I think of how many times the IAA have had 'mystery shoppers' on other airlines hiding packages under seats and in overhead bins to see if cabin crew do there security checks. I have never once heard of a case in RYR. One such check on a small operator which was leased in on behalf of another apparently failed the check when somone missed a package in a seat pocket. The IAA threatened to stop them flying immediately until they audited their security procedures. I can not, under any stretch of the imagination see how the same would not happen in RYR when I think of the sandwich packets, sick bags and other rubbish I have been greeted with each time I sat in a RYR aircraft. These checks simply must not be happening or are being notified in advance.