PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair: approach incidents in the news
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2007, 08:04
Airbus Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no problem with journalists being here if they do some digging and finish with a report that is full of fact.

Personally I have seen a couple of very interesting approaches by Ryanair aircraft, unbelievable, have joked when seeing an aircraft turning finals at about 300', stable at around 50' !!!

I think any journalist should be digging around at the IAA. I believe a while back (might have been reported on here somewhere) Ryanair were found to be not carrying some required documents, might have been approach plates or notams or something, can't remember. I seem to recall it was the CAA that discovered it, despite the IAA supposedly doing their regular audits. And now the IAA have not jumped on Ryanair when some of their pilots have, allegedly, been doing approaches below minima? And I'm sorry, but NOTAMs don't have to "emphasise" that the reduction in approach lighting = higher minimas. That is what us pilots have to know.

I often wonder whether there has ever been a case of an Aviation Authority (not necessarily Irish) having a close relationship with an airline boss? I guess in theory it could happen.