PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair: approach incidents in the news
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2007, 03:58
theamrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ian, sorry for jumping into your thread.
"your thread" ????

The Professional Pilots Rumour Network (PPRuNe) is a community of professional pilots and people who work in aviation, both experienced and inexperienced.
So why, like before, does it seem like journalists are crawling all over this forum? When does posting the SAME request for "information" on two different threads start to look like spam?

Ok, so posts from pilots/ATCers/techies/engineers etc, those who know a lot, those who know a little, those who are new to the industry, others who want to comment, including passengers, enthusiasts (esp. with genuine questions etc) even, but I think the line has to be drawn somewhere. Are we supposed to believe that information obtained from a source found on a forum on which anyone can register will be used for the purposes of "journalism". (Rhetorical question!) So much for verifiable sources/information. I've seen the frustration level of some over the ill-informed, self-appointed experts (thankfully the minority) on threads such as the 'BA B744 engine out and continued flight'. With this in mind, and considering the 'wheat and chaff' point made by J-Class, I can imagine the type of waffle that would result from a production based on some of the posts on that (and some other) thread(s). That is without an industry expert standing beside the author to indicate what is probably accurate/believable, possible accurate or downright piffle. Let's not forget the Bristol issue; specifically the world of difference between opinions voiced by many pilots flying into Bristol at the time - and how some of the media just kept allowing a certain person to nullify (frankly IMO bull####) the slippery runway factor totally unchallenged. And that was after similar requests for 'insider' information on this forum. Who could blame the general public for thinking there was nothing wrong - it's just that SOME of the pilots/operators are a bit "panicky' when it rains.

As has happened all over the world, notably the USA, the regulatory authority makes their money from those who they regulate. That kind of system will never work 100 % correctly
I agree - one only has to look at the implemenation time of some of NTSB recommendations - and the list of those delayed indefinitely (permanently ). A read of some of the submissions made on individual AD's can sometimes be quite educational/entertaining .