PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX Director Flight Ops: "Young pilots don't want pensions or medical care"
Old 8th Feb 2007, 03:32
Avius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it is all about supply & demand. It always has been. It is easy to lure the young pilot onto a B777 or B747 and you can't blame them. It is normal.

Many years ago, I was one of those pilots too. After flying the 747-400 for a few years and with family growing (kids and more kids), my priorities have started to shift towards livestyle and family.

Today, I still enjoy flying the 744 and probably prefer long haul flying to 4 sectors/day, but my perspective has definitely changed. Flying a 747 is no longer on top of my priority list. The fact alone, that I'm fairly experienced on type and -at least currently- considered a "hot" commodity and therefore employable and relatively well paid -which enables me to provide for my loved ones- is what keeps me in the game.

The complications, when it comes to work/life balance is just a quite high price to pay - sometimes anyway.

Of course, the other alternative is, that one does not want to have any long lasting relationships in which case all bets are off. Perversely, being on the 2nd and 3rd wife seems to be a generally accepted norm for pilots, even seen as a virtue. I have yet to understand the logic of that.

Anyway, I guess it is up to the older generation of pilots to fight for the T&C's and let the young ones grow up first, until they are able to take over the helm. (Probably too idealistic, but sounds good anyway)

Keep the blue side up !!