PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind Quickstops
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2007, 02:42
aclark79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is just no way I will ever enter a 2000 foot per minute decent rate in an R22 on purpose! I understand what you are saying though, 500 ft and 2000 ft are two diffrent animals altogether.

Out of curiosity when 500 fpm was indicated how long were you stabilized? If your rate of descent was increasing rapidly, and you initiated a go-around at 500 fpm indicated your actual ROD was higher because of the lag in the VSI (unless you have an IVSI)
I am/was probably stabalized at 500 fpm for no more than 3 to 5 seconds. It feels like forever up there though... I don't wait for the rate to hit 500 before initiating the recovery, I teach a recovery as soon as the onset is recognized. That said, I do hit a real decent when demonstrating it.

I feel this is being done to death and there will always be people on the fence about it. A lot of instructors maybe just don't understand what they're teaching and make too big a deal out of it all??
I don't really think we could do this one to death, I had great instructors but none of them could give me the technical instruction thats in this post, I for one am enjoying it. Never to late to learn right? I'm not sure how this will affect what I teach regarding VRS in the PPL, I still want the student to have a healthy respect for those 3 SWP criteria and avoid them at all costs.

Regarding doing quickstops in the PPL at all, I can't say I ever had a reason to do a real life quickstop where the choices were stop NOW, or hit something, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.