PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet - 3
Thread: Easyjet - 3
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2007, 17:48
Lite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been following the aviation and the environment debate with great interest, and was particularly interested in the SPURT adverts which were splashed across UK newspapers on Monday. They are funded by a British banker who received a massive pay off when he challenged the environmental policy of the bank he worked for, and is using the money to fuel various environmental campaigns. I am, of couse, concerned about the environment and the effect that climate change could have on the places and people I love to visit, but it's important to remember that flying is not the major cause, nor is it the solution (to quote MO'L), to climate change, and it's about time through letters to your MP, newspapers, environmental groups and anyone who will listen, to say that aviation is vital to our modern society.

Aviation plays too important a role in today's society for it to be suddenly wiped out by environmentalists, and governments know this. Commercial aviation contributes 1.6% of the emissions of greenhouse gases which are, according to scientists, linked to climate change, but at the same time creates just over 8% of the world's GDP. The industry is vital to the economies of many countries, particularly for creating new industries in developing countries. The problem is, aviation is accounting for that 1.6%, and is continuing to grow every year, indeed in Europe we're being told aviation is the fastest growing contributor to climate change, even though it is small now.

So what can be done? Well, I think a certain amount comes from technology. The industry has developed unimaginably in just 100 years of flight, and certainly in the last 25 years we've seen efficiency improve dramatically of airliners. Manufacturers, like car manufacturers, must year-on-year try to create more environmentally friendly aircraft. Richard Branson has begun his company Virgin Fuels, which is looking at alternative energies for aircraft, some of which could be in service, albeit on a small scale, within 10 years. There are operational things we can do now as well. The starting grid system proposed by Virgin for reducing engine running time at airports, move all airfield vehicles to alternative fuels, have all airport terminal buildings powered by renewable energy sources, make airlines show how much CO2 will be pumped out from your flight when you book with the option to carbon offset ... all targets the industry should be striving for, perhaps for 2012 when the emissions trading scheme comes into play.

It's difficult to predict the future of our (or any other) industry, but aviation is too important to disappear, and it's vital that we defend this industry for the huge benefits it brings, but that we also ensure that we minimise the negatives.