PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Bulletin: Morecambe Bay
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2007, 15:52
coalface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geoffers, you make a good point but it is a shame that it might take a regulatory authority to enforce sim training. I don't think it will happen in the short term as the UK CAA seems completely toothless. For the past 6 years the CAA has allowed CHC to operate without any senior management with any aviation background. I am told that the AOC senior postholder was the equivilent of a commercial clerk not many years ago. The resources director to who the flight ops managers report to has no aviation background and by all accounts is completely out of her depth. Due to the attempt to create CHC "Europe" as a single company most of CHCs management's time seems to be taken up with trying to sort out politics and industrial problems among the different national entities which are all trying to protect their own local jobs and client base.

There seems to have been a deliberate senior management decision to ensure there is no-one in flight ops with any financial or budget authority because they know that pilots, pilot training and everything else which goes towards providing a safe operating system costs money.

Roundwego is right - they might talk the talk but they don't walk the walk.

PS. Please don't think that anything I have said implies any particular view on the cause of the thread subject accident. That is up to the AAIB. I just hope they look very carefully at the management structure of CHC in the UK