PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet - 3
Thread: Easyjet - 3
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2007, 14:33
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the politicians were genuine in their concern regarding carbon/pollutant emissions, they should immediately fast-track 50 new nuclear power stations to replace gas/coal alternatives and subsidise the installation of de-polluting "scrubber" technology at coal-fired power stations in poorer countries. And in the UK, investing in additional rolling stock could enable the rail companies to stop deliberately pricing customers off trains and into cars to keep the numbers manageable.

The doubling of APD was a crass cashgrab by the chancellor. How much of that cash will be used to help the environment? It is an insult to the electorate to suppose that we would be fooled by this. And by the way, if I personally didn't book my return air ticket to Spain would the scheduled A321 on the route be cancelled as a result? Didn't think so ... This whole flying/guilt trip thing is a complete nonsense.

I am actually very PRO environmental protection - I don't own a car, I do use public transport whenever possible, I switch off electrical devices rather than leaving them on standby. But that does not mean that I will stand back and watch our industry being savaged by politicians as an easy target. Ask a politician why a passenger aboard a Dash 8-400 should pay the same 'environmental tax' as one aboard a Boeing 737-200; I'd be surprised if they even understood the point! What incentive is there for airlines to invest in the latest environmentally-friendly types at considerable expense?

And by the way, exactly WHAT is the government doing to coordinate research into viable alternatives to fossil fuels for propulsion? How about putting up money 'X-Prize' style [spaceflight project] to encourage meaningful research? We in this industry should point out the 'carrot' options open to politicians who genuinely care about the environment, and get away from the 'don't book an air ticket' gesture politics.

Well, that's my rant on the subject anyway! Flames awaited ...