PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind Quickstops
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2007, 12:57
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DtP
Yours is a very valid q. and even though I refrained from talking about it before I also agree with everything that Rudestuff says. Except of course if the noise stops then lookout.

The following quote of his qualifies his story.

"The only difference is when and how much power needs to be applied"

May I attempt to explain that.

If you are doing a qs and slowing down in the downwind diretion you will get to the point where you are at zero A/S where you understand that you will need more power and further you are trying for a negative forward A/S, then that is where things go wrong for the unwary.

This is where the rudestuff quote comes in. Imagine the air that you are flying on as smooth above your rotor and very tubulent below it. Say that boundary between the two projects in a straight line in front of the disk. (If you are bloody lucky in the real world I say)

If you then apply enough power to stay above it you will be OK. Drop into it and you will be looking for all sorts of trouble, simple.

The limiting thing apart from all of the other eroded safety issues, is how much power do you have?

The same goes for doing pull ups into torque turns. When doing from the downwind direction to turn into wind it is real easy, as there is plenty of fresh air coming at your disk from behind you if you are stationary relative to the ground at the top of the turn.

When you do them the the other way from the into wind to the downwind recovery, always allow enough of a power margin to pull a bit of collective at the top so that the disk will be in fresh air. In other words plan to be travelling backwards a bit relative to the ground to give zero A/S.

It's can be kinda spooky if you don't. Remember what I said about being above eighty feet if you really stuff it up.

Doing anti-torque turns in the same manner becomes just a bit more complicated.