PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking to rent a twin or a high performance single in Canada
Old 7th Feb 2007, 01:59
Mostly Harmless

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm… difficult. You are correct… the insurance industry here has made the rental of light twins pretty expensive (or so the story is told by the schools). Unfortunately the same is true of high-performance singles. The reality is that most places that rent don’t get a lot of renters looking for high performance aircraft. They make their bread and butter off of the good old C-172 (or similar) airplanes and doing dual instruction. I don’t think I know of any 6-place aircraft for hire in all of western Canada (B. C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba). The Calgary Flying Club has an Arrow and a C-182.
I would suggest you post this in the general section of www.avcanada.ca and you might get a little more feedback. You might be able to hook up with someone who is not a traditional school but has a plane to rent. Be careful about doing it this way. If it is a privately registered aircraft, you will have to buy (for as low as $1) a share in the airplane and have your name on the registration and insurance for it to be legal. If it is commercially registered, a rental is no problem. You can check to see if it is private or commercial here. http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/activep...uicksearch.asp
While I was writing this, a friend of mine who lives down the hall rang my doorbell to invite me over for a carbonated beverage. I told him of your request and he suggested that perhaps Bar XH might have a Beech Baron 55 that they used to rent. They are based in Medicine Hat, Alberta. Good luck and good hunting.
Oh yes… one last piece of advice. Don’t tackle the Canadian Rockies without going out with an instructor for a mountain checkout first. A good instructor who has experience out there. It is a unique type of flying, beautiful beyond all words, but it will kill you if you don’t know what you are doing. How to spot a good instructor? For starters, you won’t climb up over the peaks until you are confident down in the valleys.