PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stroppy cabin crew and groundstaff
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2007, 01:56
Ye Olde Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stroppy cabin crew and groundstaff

I'm sure I cannot be the only one to have noticed a change in attitude on the part of some cabin crew and groundstaff over the last few years. New security measures and a change in the ANO seems to have led to a spate of power mad jobsworths.

In the latest case the Crown Office has decided not to proceed against Lord Fraser of Carmyllie in relation to what was called an "air rage incident" on journey from London to Dundee shortly before Christmas. Tayside Police officers were called to Dundee airport to meet the ScotAirways flight on reports of disruptive behaviour by a passenger on board. He was arrested, taken to police headquarters in Dundee and charged with a breach of Article 78 of the Air Navigation Order 2005, which related to "acting in a disruptive manner".
Nobody, other than the flight attendant who complained about his behaviour could work out what he had done to incur her wrath. I understand his flight was delayed by up to three hours. Some reports claimed he was "smelling strongly of drink" when he boarded and "berated" a female member of the cabin crew. But others claimed he had not caused any trouble, despite accusations he had been disruptive. Passengers included a former Labour MP, who is now a member of the House of Lords, a current Labour MP, a former Labour city councillor and a Liberal Democrat peer. None witnessed any incident that could be classified as "air rage".Tayside Police decided that the word of the flight attendant merited them charging the peer but the Crown Office decided against proceedings, adding that there was "insufficient evidence of an offence having taken place." One cabin attendant complains about a passengers "wrong or bad" attitude and it's down the road to clink. I'm not defending him. Lord Fraser is the former Lord Advocate of Scotland and was a Tory MP for eight years until 1987. He now sits in the House of Lords as a Tory peer and led the inquiry into the construction of the £431m Scottish Parliament building. He may well be a bit self confident or even arrogant and he admits he had a whiskey before boarding. If he was drunk and disruptive the captain on this flight must have also have been of the opinion that the situation warranted the radio call to be met by police. Therefore there must be evidence to bring a prosecution. However he might just have taken the cabin attendants word and decided to let police sort the issue on the ground.

Is this another example of airline "service" staff behaving like little Hitlers. They can be encountered not only in the air but at airports behind the desk and acting as "security" officers (favourite question: "Can I help you?") It is very dangerous nowadays to make any comment in relation to the conduct of such staff or the airline they represent. If you do they will immediately claim to have been "offended", "shocked", etc and call in the police. A number of pilots have already discovered the most dangerous part of the journey is passing the security screeners.

This story in todays Daily Telegraph makes interesting reading.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../07/do0704.xml

Last edited by Ye Olde Pilot; 7th Feb 2007 at 08:05. Reason: spelling mistake