PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 6th Feb 2007, 22:56
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Why is it that when I’m asking for Australia to introduce safety improvements that are well proven and relatively inexpensive, and have been mandatory in other modern aviation countries for 12 years, that virtually everyone goes completely off the track and talks about something that hasn’t even been invented yet?

Let me explain. If you get the latest Airbus or Boeing aircraft, people will claim that it is fully equipped with ADS-B. In fact, it is equipped with ADS-B ‘out’, but its sole method of receiving – i.e. showing on a cockpit display and giving a traffic or resolution advisory – is by TCAS.
No one has yet invented an ADS-B ‘in’ unit which is certified and gives the required voice calls.

Even the most advanced ADS-B (in relation to being proven) the US Capstone project has a display and no audio - you have to look down at it all of the time rather than looking out. Of course after three months of looking down and not seeing an aircraft, it is the aircraft that comes close that you hit.
Even TCAS I gives a traffic advisory, and you can simply look at the screen at that time, see where the traffic is, then look out and work out how to avoid it. With TCAS II, you get a full resolution advisory. This is existing, proven equipment that is not that expensive.

Why aren’t the AFAP, AIPA and GAPAN calling for the Government to at least accept this existing, proven system?

Airservices Australia is now going ahead with a contract in Tasmania, placing a multilateration system on the mountain tops. This works with standard Mode C and Mode S transponders. It does not need a rotating radar head and TCAS I and TCAS II will obviously work perfectly with the system.

There is no doubt that ADS-B will come in one day – I’m told it is at least a decade away. At the present time we have excellent, proven TCAS which is not even required in Australia when it would be overseas. I understand there are some 190 airline aircraft of between 10 and 30 passengers flying in Australia which are not equipped. This is outrageous.

Please do not get off the track and talk about things which are not yet certified – let’s use a proven system.

I will look forward to seeing press releases from the three organisations calling for the Government to at least catch up with the rest of the world before trying to lead the rest of the world.

Beaver rotate, CAR 262AC states:

After 31 December 1999, the pilot in command of an Australian aircraft that is a turbine-powered commercial aeroplane must not begin a flight if the aircraft is not fitted with an approved TCAS II that is serviceable.
To find out what this means, have a look at CAR 262AA (definitions):

turbine-powered commercial aeroplane means a large-capacity aeroplane that: (a) is propelled by turbojet, turbofan, or turboprop engines; and (b) is being used, for hire or reward, to carry passengers, cargo or both.
Large-capacity aeroplane means an aeroplane that: (a) has a maximum take-off weight of more than 15,000 kg; or (b) is permitted by its type certificate to have a passenger seating capacity of more than 30 seats.
In short, commercial jet or turboprop aircraft of 30 passengers or more are required to have TCAS II.

Last edited by Dick Smith; 7th Feb 2007 at 00:59.