PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Bulletin: Morecambe Bay
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2007, 20:50
soggyboxers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, nothing to do with the AAIB report, but there's just too much misinformation about Dauphin autopilots appearing here to let go without comment. All the Dauphin models from the SA365N to the N3 have a standard fit SFIM 155 automatic pilot and a CDV 85 flight coupler, unless specified with something different from the factory. This can be found in Section 10.6 of the 365N RFM (different reference for 365N1 - N3 models). The coupler control unit enables either coupler or flight director (or both) modes to be coupled to the AP. If only FD is armed and selected, the appropriate mode will be connected to the flight director bars on the ADI and the pilot will have to manually fly the bars to centre them. Of only CPL is armed and selected, the autopilot will provide control inputs when an appropriate coupler mode (e.g. HDG, ALT, AS) is selected, without any FD command bar input (and on many 365 models the FD command bars are displayed only on the Captain's ADI). Normally both CPL and FD modes are armed and selected as required. IN GA mode (selected either on the coupler control unit or the collective button), the wings are rolled level and a pitch attitude for Vy are selected, the pilot manually pulling appropriate GA power (whether toruqe, Ng or delta Ng depending on model and temperature).
When instructing on the Dauphin simulator, I found that most pilots wanted to fly the aircraft on an ARA using ALT and HDG modes, but then when they had to carry out a GA, suddenly found themselves acclerating level as they pulled power. I find that for an ARA it's normally easier to couple HDG and AS, then if a GA is necessary, use the heading control to turn away from the rig and allow the airspeed to be held by the AS coupler mode, whilst just pulling appropriate power on the collective. Using the GA mode for most ARAs at the go around point is pointless as it rolls the wings level at a time when you want to be turning away from the rig.
None of the above implies that any autopilot mishandling occurred in this accident. I have no idea and await the outcome of the AAIB investigation. It's just that there seem to be a number of slightly confused posts on the coupler and flight director modes on the Dauphin. I'm told that Scotia in UK don't send their pilots to Helisim for annual recurrent training. Is this true? If so, it's an unforgiveable error on their part, when a fully certified Cat D simulator is available at Helisim to practice many failures which it is not possible to do on the aircraft. Even in the much-maligned Nigeria, pilots from all companies are required to carry out annual recurrent simulator training if there is a certified simulator available for the type.