PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lock-and-loadmaster
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2007, 20:49
The Helpful Stacker

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
As I mentioned on the 'arrse' thread about this very subject I reckon there has been a slight mix-up.

As many of us on here are no doubt aware the RAF operates mainly three types of pre-deployment course for folk heading somewhere hot and sandy.

The 'vicars and tarts' course, for those off to Al Udeid etc - A day in your local rock shop being told to drink lots of water when its hot (like, doh) and leave scorpions alone.

The 'you might have to stag on at Basrah' course - A week at either your local rock shop if on a large unit or somewhere like High Wycombe if from a small unit, learning how to get out of a vehicle quickly should an Iranian backed nut job manage to set up an ambush outside J1 village and spring it whilst you are heading around to buy a Subway in one of the knackered Land Rovers.

The 'you either have to fly the things we are here to support or your trade is so low down the pecking order that we have decided you are going to play target to draw attention away from the nice big fuel tanker convoy' course - For those folk who may find themselves outside the wire quite a bit, whether in the air or in the back of a stripped down Land Rover on their way to Al Amarah etc.

To me it sounds like either they are aircrew who have been given the latter course in case they should find themselves in the middle of the desert standing next to the smoking remains of a recently serviceable a/c or a mover who for some strange reason has got lost and isn't damaging a/c on the pan or losing luggage but is actually outside the wire playing target to the friendly locals.

BTW, to whoever suggested it sounds like a stacker, that can't be right because I'm sure I'm about the only one in the trade who deploys away (as they seem to come around so often)......